Sunday, June 16, 2013

Guest Blogger: Culture

It is an amazing thing in our world today that you can get on a plane; travel thousands of miles in a relatively short time, and step off into another world.  Yet, God has given us this great opportunity to see life not just from our perspective, but with His eyes.

So many times I forget that the rest of the world does not live like I do and in ministering to them we must meet them where they are. My trip to Nigeria opened my eyes to another culture, one in which I was the stranger.

As it happens, my first cultural experience outside of the airport dealt with food. After flying into the capital city, the next morning we set off for Jos. Trey assured us that as we left the busy city, we would find a place to eat. After a while, we came to a roll of shacks. Trey let us know this is where breakfast was. With some reservation, I followed my son as he led us past the first row of shacks to the shacks behind the shacks.  Trey proceeded to order an egg sandwich. The man pulled out a fresh egg and cooked it over an open flame.  Following a long trip and now a ride on a hot dusty road, I decided to drink my Diet Pepsi and wait. My son looked at me like “suit yourself” and we continued our trip. Actually, I didn’t go hungry in Nigeria and tried some new foods at different places. I was continually amazed at my son and daughter-in-law’s ability to adjust to their surroundings and meet people where they are.

There are many things that are just a part of daily life in Nigeria but completely different from my life in the United States. I like to think of myself as a person who can “rough it.” In my younger days, I enjoyed camping and hiking for days at a time. I have however, become accustomed to living my daily life knowing I can turn the lights on when I want, wash clothes, turn on the air conditioning, or use various appliances whenever I wish.  In Nigeria, the only thing certain about the electricity is that at some point in time it will go off. You might be sleeping in bed with the ceiling fan running and suddenly everything goes silent.  The silence may last a few hours or many days, but as if a surprise at Christmas suddenly everything will be running again. This inconsistency in electric power has influenced how people in Nigeria live their lives. They perform those tasks that require electricity when they can, not knowing how long it will last.  They aren’t particularly bothered or annoyed by it; it is just a part of life. On a daily bases, there are many things I have learned to rely on, but few of which really matter in task of carrying out God’s mission. They are simply things I have grown accustomed to. God asks us to meet people where they are not considering our needs, but their needs as we share God’s love.

Being from Arkansas, I am a great fan of Wal-Mart. Everything you need in one place. If you can imagine, the Nigerian marketplace is an even bigger economic/social gathering than Wal-Mart. It is a narrow, dusty road and crowded with wall-to-wall people all who have gathered to either sell or buy.  They were selling everything from raw meat to fresh milk and fresh milk is the hot item. Milk seemed to be a luxury item in Nigeria and is only sold in the market when available. The buyer must be at the “fresh market” at just the right time, if they want the white nectar and if they are fortunate to get some they get on their Nigerian network of communication to let others know. Trey and Kristen had made relationships with some of the locals and they were able to guide us through the marketplace.  I was definitely thankful for the help, but even more amazed at how these relationships had been formed in such a short time. In this culture, relationships are key to sharing the Gospel. The missionaries are strangers in a foreign land. God uses different relationships each day to work His plan in this crowded and sometime challenging culture.

Culture - The dictionary defines “culture” as “the behaviors and beliefs characteristic to a particular group.” That definition leads me to question the culture of “the church” today.  Do our behaviors reflect the belief that we believe Christ return is imminent?  Do we cross any barrier in the belief that that we must carry out the Great Commission? It is humbling to know God has called us to reach our culture. It is our turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment