Tuesday, November 25, 2014

National Adoption Month

In case you didn't know, November is National Adoption Month. We are almost to the end of the month, and we haven't posted anything about it yet. There's a lot of reasons for this - computer crashing, traveling and lack of internet, visitors in Benin - but one in particular is that I'm not sure what to say about it, yet. We are still early on in this adoption process. I know that the roller coaster of emotions is only beginning and I'm still trying to figure out how to process all of it.

We were in the states in October for vacation. Before we left, we visited with Little Man. Within a week of us returning, we headed to visit him again. We turned on the road to the orphanage excited to see him with his young "brothers" and two older "sisters" walking home from school for lunch. Everyone was excited to see us… except for him. The other boys all quickly jumped in the back of the truck for a ride up to the building. Little Man refused. He was scared. He began kicking and screaming.  My heart sank. I was so sad. I was hoping for a joyous welcome. The last time we saw him we were smiling and laughing and playing… and now this.

I know… what else should I expect. He's a young child who has been on quite the roller coaster of a life already. And then these people come in and tell him we're going to make him a part of our family. Then he doesn't see us for a month. And then we're back again. I'm sure I would be kicking and screaming, too. I can't even imagine all of the thoughts going through his head.

Eventually, and reluctantly, he entered the compound. He gave us hugs… reluctantly. And then we gave him some clothes and a few small toys we brought back for him from America. He warmed up a little more to us and left with a smile on his face to return to school for the afternoon session. I left mixed with emotions. We returned a week later for another short visit and it was much better. No kicking and screaming, and I even got a few kisses.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is… we have a long journey ahead. Even once Little Man is officially part of our family we will still have a long road ahead. However, because of things like National Adoption Month we can connect with a community on the same journey as we are. We can understand what it is like to be adoptive parents just beginning or even ten years into it. We can read articles written by adopted children/adults or siblings of adopted children about their "side" of things. This month helps us to feel like we're not on this journey alone, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment