Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Guest Blogger: Ministry


Well, I am writing the third of three blogs. It has been more difficult than I anticipated it would be. My desire was to share about “Firsts” in my journey to and time in Nigeria. The previous blogs described my travel to Nigeria and the culture which I witnessed Trey and Kristen living in daily. This last blog in the series (I can’t believe I penned a series of blogs. Thanks Kristen, for this opportunity) shares about the ministry in Nigeria.

Now remember, as one of Trey and Kristen’s family members, I believe that I can speak for the family. We live in a world of emotions that combat each other. First, like any parent or family member we want them with us, but as believers in the Almighty God and Creator, we believe that they are in the center of God’s plan for their lives and we are comforted by that fact. I can honestly say that I would rather have them in Africa in the center of God’s will (yes, I still believe that with the addition of Chandler) than living next door to me out of God’s plan for their lives. The reason they are in Africa is to minister to the lost and hurting people of West Africa. It is this first hand experience that I want to share about.

One of the greatest illustrations that I can share is one that the kids shared with me. They shared of a church that was burned to the ground by enemies of the Gospel. They began worshipping under a tree at the location of the former church building. They brought cement blocks and 2 by 12’s to sit on. It was not long before the enemies of the Gospel came at night and destroyed the cement blocks. The church continued to worship at this location, now however they brought logs to sit on as they heard the teachings of our Lord and Savior. Question - how will they keep these logs from being destroyed? Answer – the Deacons of the church carry the logs home to their houses and brings them back at the next time of worship.

I am thankful to Trey and Kristen for showing and providing ministry opportunities while I was in Nigeria. There is a ministry there that is fascinating to me. It is a ministry to women who are outcast and hurting. They teach them the skill of sewing. One part of this was making clothes. I spoke with the missionary there about buying a shirt that was tailored for me. I had just experienced them selling a shirt, measuring the individual for the size and promising them the shirt would be ready in two days for their departure. I thought that was a good idea, I said “I am also leaving in two days” and then I asked, “what would it take for me to have a shirt made to take back home with me?” She measured me and said, “A miracle.” Needless to say Kristen brought the shirt back to the states to me when she came a month later. I want you to understand this, for almost a week I had been seeing people who showed lostness and hopelessness on their faces.  In this place of sewing, I saw hope and faithfulness.

In the marketplace I saw an ocean of people who did not know the Lord. A flood of emotions flowed through my body as I saw people who visually showed lostness and hopelessness. I can say with 100% confidence that I have not seen that in my life in the states. An experience opened my eyes to the pain that is a part of daily life in this land. We were in the marketplace and as a six foot, white American, I stood out. A group of children approached and I saw that they were well organized in their persistent requests for money. It became obvious why, when their master came into the picture. All I could see at the moment was this non-believer and follower of a false religion having complete control over these children. I pray that God’s light is seen in this dark place. It is sad, but yet not unlike our own country where many times false gods dictate the lives of people. Our co-workers, our next door neighbors many times live under a dark master. The enemy is well organized and has a plan, but “greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world!”

I had an experience on a Thursday night in Nigeria that transformed the way I pray for missions. We had the great privilege of eating dinner with 12 missionaries and family members. After we ate, they gathered together as they always do on Thursday nights and prayed for their ministry partners. I pray daily for all Christians around the world who face persecution (in a all encompassing prayer). This night as they spoke prayer requests they mentioned individuals who lost their home for their faith, they mentioned people who were beaten because of their faith, and then they mentioned individuals by name who gave their lives for their faith. They spoke of individuals that they had just seen a week earlier. My life will forever be changed because of this night. I know we don’t experience persecution in the states, and we have the freedom to share Christ whenever we want. The Christians in northern Nigeria don’t, but in persecution they find strength in the Lord. My prayer is not only for them, but for us. “God in our homeland of freedom, may we experience the urgency of sharing the Gospel as our brothers and sisters do around the world who experience life threatening persecution.”

 Our days on this earth are numbered. We choose each day how we live our lives. It has been said that we make 1000 decisions a day. Yet each person makes one decision that is for eternity.  How dare you or I walk through our day without an urgency to share the Gospel.  How dare we share our lives with people around us, and not share the meaning of life as God’s child.

As I finish this third blog, let me go back to the phrase “Go big or go home.” Let’s all “go big” for Christ (whatever that may be for you; missions, sharing about Christ, using your place of employment to tell others of God’s love, etc.) because our home is not of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment