Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Guest Blogger: Where's my Diet Pepsi?

After his second trip to West Africa, I asked Carl, my father-in-law (or Beau Père - handsome father - as they say in French) to make an appearance on our blog again. The first time he was nervous, but in the end enjoyed it. So, here we go again. Another post from my Beau Père...

Wait, No Diet Pepsi! Before I continue with that thought, let me share a few other thoughts with you. It is amazing to me what you learn about and how much you personally learn when you take a step of faith and trust God with a journey of love.


I was blessed to travel with five other individuals to Benin, West Africa. We had one common goal and that was to make a difference. I know that this is a common adage that is used, but it was true for us.

I want to share about the chemistry of a team of 11 (12 if you count the grandest of grand children, Chandler). This trek began at the Panama City Airport on Sunday afternoon March 16th. We met with 12 large pieces of luggage plus all of our carry on’s (we were a sight to behold). To say we were excited is to under state the true emotion of what we were feeling. We finally were checked in and on our way to Benin. We skyped Trey, Kristen and Chandler from the airport, just to make sure they knew we were coming. They were ready for us to be there and they had made incredible preparations for us. So after a few hours (23 or so) we arrived in Benin.

Ready or not, Benin, we are here! After we gathered our luggage (the last piece of luggage off the plane was ours) and after walking into the sauna of the night, I began to realize that this team, group, comrades, friends, family, traveling companions, etc. were pretty impressive. Trey and Kristen had a great game plan laid out for us. The one word that still sticks in my mind that they emphasized was flexibility. This group of sojourners took that to heart.

Flexibility is really God’s call to get out of the boat and go where it’s not always comfortable, where your plans will change and where your faith is stretched.  Flexibility took our team into the small villages and the humble homes of the people who live in the West African country of Benin.  God gave us the opportunity to work with pastors and churches as they seek to carry out the Great Commission in their homeland.  I watched in awe as team members shared the stories of God’s Word to people who did not even speak their language.  They were constantly flexible.

As I flew home, I thought about the story of Abraham. God called him out to go to a land he did not know but God would show him.  Abraham ‘s journey was one of flexibility. I watch Trey and Kristen as they follow that same example going to an unfamiliar place and obedient to their calling.

Diet Pepsi is my drink of choice.  On this adventure I could have seen flexibility as drinking Coca light (diet coke).  However, true flexibility is the ability to bend my will to God’s will. To follow Him to those unknown places He leads.  To be His instrument, be it in Benin or Panama City.

No comments:

Post a Comment