Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cooking: Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie

I don't like to cook. At all. It doesn't mean I can't cook, I just don't actually enjoy it. When I was younger I dreamed of a husband that loved to cook. And I got that! Trey actually enjoys the whole cooking thing. I don't understand that mindset. When we were at home we had the ability and accessibility to eat out a lot... so I didn't have to cook much. I did master box macaroni & cheese & we ate that with almost every meal. Here, however, eating out here is very expensive. Our first lunch in town, we ate at the mall food court & spent $20 at a fast food taco place... and were still hungry after we ate what we ordered. Once we get to Africa, I'll be cooking lots. Therefore, I'm using the time here to practice my cooking skills. So, I'll be giving you some of these recipes I'm trying out here & let you know what my official taste tester (a.k.a. Trey) thinks about the food.


The first recipe to share is Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie. I found the recipe on Pinterest, which is where I'm finding most of my new recipes. I will be sure to always post the link to the original recipe, as to not take credit for anything!



my actual pot pie! Yummy!

ingredients:
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can (about 8 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 package (8 ½ ounces) corn muffin mix
¾ cup milk
1 egg
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
instructions:
1.  Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Stir soup, corn and chicken in a 9" pie plate.
2.  Stir the muffin mix, milk and egg with a fork in a small bowl until the ingredients are mixed. Spoon over the chicken mixture.
3.  Bake for 30 minutes until the cornbread is golden. Sprinkle with the cheese. Serve with sliced fresh tomatoes.

The only difference we had was no fresh sliced tomatoes, since my taste tester is not a fan! But I'm sure that would be delicious.

Now, here's what I would change the next time I make the recipe. I would add different veggies. Maybe 1 ½ cups of mixed veggies. My mom always told me in order to get different nutrients make sure my plate was "colorful". This meal was pretty yellow. Also, my taste tester said he would have liked the cornbread to be a little sweeter. And I thought some cheese inside the pie would have been delicious.

Try it out & let me know what you think! It is really a simple, quick meal! I'm still not much of a fan of cooking, but I do feel extremely accomplished after each meal :)

1 comment:

  1. You're doing better than me girl! I need to get inspired after my explosion the other night. That really took the wind out of my sails haha.

    ReplyDelete