Tuesday, April 24, 2012

those little moments

It hit me. It finally hit me. I'm not a short car ride or even a day's trip away from home, away from our close family & friends. I'm currently on the other side of North America... and will soon be on the other side of the world all together. You'd think I would have already realized this... but it didn't hit me until today.

I wake up to start my day and I check my email, my facebook, and twitter. Except, I didn't make it quite to twitter. I had to stop at facebook because our good friends welcomed their little girl into the world EARLY this morning. And that's when it all hit. I won't be able to go to the hospital and visit the Griffin family. I won't be able to make dinner to take over to their house and hold Leah while they eat. I won't be able to watch her grow up.

And the thing is, Leah is not the only little one coming into the world while we're gone. My brother and sister-in-law will welcome Owen into the world in June... not to mention countless other pregnant friends. We're at that age. Everyone seems to be married, and what comes after marriage... as the old playground rhyme goes - first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a baby carriage. I realized that some of these children will think I live inside a computer. They'll only know me through Skype until they're 3 years old.

All of this emotion today has really been hard on me. I have to return to my calling. I'm following my God and what he has called me to do with my life. I'm here with my best friend and love of my life and we're on this journey together. As long as God has called me to be here and on the other side of the world, I'll go. I'll be away from so many that I love and long to watch grow up because more than anything, I long to be following God's call on my life.

For now, I'll leave you with a picture of the precious new family.

1 comment: