Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cooking: Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole

We love Mexican food. We I love chicken. And what good southerner doesn't love a casserole. This recipe is all that and more.

Ingredients:
2 cups penne pasta, cooked
2 cups chicken, cooked
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup corn
Salt & pepper
1 jar salsa verde
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
Lightly crushed tortilla chips
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & spray a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place cooked pasta, chicken, black beans, tomatoes & corn in prepared dish. Season with salt & pepper, then toss to mix.
3. In another bowl, combine the salsa & sour cream. Pour evenly over chicken mixture. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cheeses, then cover with foil & bake for 15 minutes.
4. Remove foil & bake for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted & bubbly. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips & cilantro. Serve using a slotted spoon.

So, of course I did something different here... but the catch is, I didn't do it on purpose. More than once I read this recipe wrong. Instead of salsa verde, I just saw salsa. And instead of 3/4 cup sour cream, I saw whole package of sour cream :) So, since Trey isn't a tomato fan, I put the salsa in without the diced tomatoes. And I used the blend of cheddar cheeses we already had at the house. My taste tester was a fan, but would like something a little more spicy next time. Also, for just 2 people, I would cut the recipe in half... all except for the chicken. It makes a LOT of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment